Tuesday, May 25, 2010

just feel morbid sexual arousal, when you see his beautiful freaks.


 «My father had four brothers, all glaziers, and he would include me in their work. So my job was to break the glass. In the first two or three hours or so, I got a splinter in my eye. The splinter was in the white of my eye, and I was going crazy.»  W.






Finding beauty within the grotesque, Joel- Peter Witkin pursues this complex issue through people most often cast aside by society -- human spectacles including hermaphrodites, dwarfs, amputees, carcases, people with odd physical capabilities, fetishists and "any living myth... anyone bearing the wounds of Christ." His fascination with other people's physicality has inspired works that confront our sense of normalcy and decency, while constantly examining the teachings handed down through Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment